7 Mar 2013

DIY la konon (Kad Kahwin)

I will beam up whenever I come across DIY craft stuff like photobooths, cards, labels, center pieces, trays and whathaveyous. If I had all the time, energy and resources to do all that, I would want to do everything on my own. Even wedding deco.

I am obsessed with DIY.

But frankly, I am not very artsy fartsy. I don't come up with fresh original ideas. I research for inspiration and work from there. I won't say I have excellent taste either. Taste I pon kadang-kadang kokarp jugak. But to each its own la kan.

Well anyway, having alot of free time on my hands (pun intended) at the moment, I had to make do with the time I had to do something worthwhile for the wedding. It's now less than 6 months away so it's crunch time.

I am doing some things on my own with help of family and friends.

The DIY stuff I'm getting done are:
- Cards (Design & Print)
- Photobooth (Backdrop, props, photos, guestbook)
- Candy corner (With the help of my aunt. Thanks aunty ku!)
- Wedding trays (With the help of my grandaunt)

Takde lah banyak sangat. It's small-small stuff and of course with family members rendering their help.

First and foremost of the list, cards.

Truth be told, when I google wedding cards, many of the search results return results from negeri mat salleh. I also watch alot of wedding reality tv shows (David Tutera, Say Yes to the Dress, Fabulous Cakes, Astro Ria etc etc you name it). It's TV. Of course semuanya cantik and of course it comes with a hefty price tag. On top of that, western weddings and malay weddings are totally like comparing nasi minyak and steak. Totally different.

So when I came across cards like...


No doubt these ideas are totally out of the box, creative. But I mean kamon la u olls. Pakcik-pakcik and makcik-makcik out there will go like...

"Apa ni kad kahwin macam gini?"
"Apesal huruf kecik ni?"
"Kasi kad tapi takda map. Macam mana nak pegi ni?"
"Kasi kad tapi tak tulis nama"

Seriously u olls, as much as people's opinion ain't gonna matter to me, I still gotta be realistic. Our people may be known to hoard stuff but things like wedding cards, they will be thrown away once they have a taste of your nasi minyak. And to do these for 500 or more cards is outrageous. Mat salleh weddings only have, 100 something guests, max I heard is 300. So they olls semua boleh la invest alot more on things like these.

Lagipon, kat SG ni, benda macam gini tak murah. (Unless you kaya gila or nak kahwin anak dato' or you sendiri anak dato')

Well anyway, you get the drift la. I'm still in the midst of designing the card, with the help of the sissy. I need to get this done and out of the way by end of the month at least, or next month so I can concentrate on other things.

I'm still scouting for good printers for my cards. I'm not very well versed with graphic terms (e.g. 300 dpi, 72 resolution...). All I care about is that my wedding card doesn't look like a photograph or postcard, unless I wanted it to.

If you olls have printing shops that you may know of, do let me know! If I have printer contacts, I'll let you oll know too. Win-win for everyone.

3 comments:

  1. hello! i also like to watch omputeh wedding shows and when they say how many guests they are inviting, i'll be like 'ah tengok! one hundred guests ajer!' eyyy why can't malay weddings be like that too! :(
    fighting for your preps! and hope your arm heals soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. betol betol betoooll!!

      for us, satu side of the family which are close is already more than a 100 people. hurhurhurhur.

      thankssss yooouuuu!!!!!! have fun with your preps too! hehehe

      Delete
  2. Good blog! You have described in a nice way.
    Thanks for sharing this information.
    Nikmat perkahwinan

    ReplyDelete